March 18, 2013

Petronas Motorsports Demo Run 2013

Its Monday again? 



Its okay. Monday's almost over.






Anyway, yesterday I made my way to Suria KLCC for the P.M.D.R held in conjunction with the coming Petronas Malaysian Formula 1 GP this weekend. This demo run brings the experience of motorsports to the streets for the public to get a taste of. I reached KLCC at 2pm, as I saw the post on Petronas Motorsports' Facebook page. What I didnt know was the schedule details, which stated the demo actually starts at 4.30. 





So for about 2 and a half hours I derped around, not knowing when would the demo actually start. I sat through a "performance" by the traffic police squad, some motorcycle acrobatics by the army, and, uhm... yeah. Finally, the demo had started although by then I was partially drained from all the walking and standing. Good thing the sun was slightly forgiving.



It started with some runs on a supersports racing bike, followed by some Cub Prix bikes ( I think they call it), which sounds just like the modified Mat Rempit kapchais. After that was a Formula junior something race car.

Finally, the pièce de résistances, the Formula 1 and SLS AMG GT3 race cars. The Formula 1 car came out first. It was supposed to do 5 laps around the closed-off Jalan Ampang but after the second or third lap the run abruptly ended with the car being pushed back.


Oh noes.




While the engineers sorted out the problem (if there was one) the SLS GT3 came out and did 9 laps, shared equally by 3 drivers. Each driver change also came with an impressive demonstration of a pit-stop and tire change. 








After the SLS did its rounds, our young hotshot Jazeman Jaafar came out in the F1 car for a final run before the event ends. His stint was mostly burnouts and short accelerations, but since it was his first time driving an F1 car I dont think anybody would be complaining.



As always with such events like this, I had my camera on standby to shoot some videos, which you can enjoy down below.










No comments:

Post a Comment